Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Antiques, Vampire Paraphernalia, and Sunshine

So this past weekend, I travelled throughout Tuscany. Which means I ate for 48 hours. Let's be serious here. And also, a weekend in Tuscany apparently means you get to see where scenes from various movies were filmed
First off was Arrezo, where there was a really cute antique show and I got to see where La Vita e Bella was filmed! SO AWESOME! No food adventures though, just because we only stopped for lunch and I only got a sandwhich. Oh but don't worry, there's plenty of foods to come.
Next was Cortona, where Under the Tuscan Sun was filmed.  First of all, our hotel was right on the ledge of the mountain, so we overlooked a valley, and it was beautiful! Then we walked around the town, and our guide Luca bought us all gelato! Three flavors of gelato. FOR FREEEEEE!!!!!!!!! I got mascarpone e nutella, hazelnut, and creama di fiori! SO DELICIOUS!
Don't worry, after this I climbed the HUGE MOUNTAIN that is Cortona.  I was totally hoofin' it up there, because I get weirdly competitive like that and think that whoever gets to the top of this silly thing is a winner, or something. That's not true, but I still tried to beat everyone.  And I did, just ya know, for the record.

And then after our crazy expedition we went back to the hotel to rest before dinner.  And dinner, folks, was more food I have had in one sitting since Thanksgiving.  Maybe my life.  We had pre-appetizer appetizers of fried cheese balls, potato cakes with cheese, egg roll things (not very Tuscan, but delicious none the less), and some vegetables with (what else?) garlic and olive oil.  Then, we had a real appetizer.  Vegetable flan with zucchini and a spicy green sauce.  Pretty different, but still tasty.  Then we had TWO pasta dishes for primi piatti- ricotta ravioli in a cream sauce and vegetable risotto.  Happy, happy girl for that course.  But the next course, oh the next course, stole my heart and soul and mind.  The bistecca fiorentina, which is made ONLY from cows of the Tuscany region, and is just steak with herbs and olive oil cooked rare.  You all know how I feel about meat, and you can imagine the facial expressions of pure joy and contentment that crossed my face.  That actually might explain why the girl across the dinner table from me didn't really talk to me after that course.  Oh well.  Social awkwardness is a small price to pay for bovinity divinity.  And then, of course, a individual molten chocolate cake was the perfect way to end the meal. 




After that dinner, I passed out. Maybe literally. I went to sleep, and I did not move until I woke up.  I've never done that.  Breakfast was huge, big surprise, eh?  We left Cortona (sadly) and headed to Pienza.  In Pienza, I found multiple cheese shops with towers of cheese rounds.  The town is famous for Pecorino cheese, and this stuff is everywhere.  The entire town smells like cheese.  Here, there was a car show! And lots of stands selling different goodies, like a huge farmers market of all the things Rachael loves! 





then we went to a cheese factory, and had lunch.  So Delicious, and light.  and then we sat in the sun, drank a little wine, and played with the cheeseman's dog.  In the Tuscan sunshine.  I didn't want to leave.  I could work in a cheese factory, right? I've got the right stuff.  







Then we went to Montepulciano, where new moon was filmed.  And you better believe I took Edward and Bella pictures reenacting there "dramatic" moment.  I was a little bothered, though, that the town totally played up their role in the film by having t-shirts and signs EVERYWHERE.  You just can't escape Kristen Stewart's always-open jaw or Robert Pattinson's shady and exasperated face.  Unfortunately. 

Anyway, went to a wine tasting, which was just ok.  I know I'm in Italy and everything, but red wine is just getting annoying.  I don't really like it.  Sorry. 

Anyway, I'll have to post tomorrow about my cooking class. Here's a spoiler alert- we made octopus. WHAT? SI! Believe it! 

Buon appetito!
Rachael  



No comments:

Post a Comment