Friday, March 4, 2011

Doctor's Orders

Going to an Italian Doctor is another thing I can check off the study abroad bucket list. Not that it was on the list to begin with, but now that I've accomplished this and it's kind of unique, I'll use it.

First of all, took all of 35 minutes to walk to the doctor. Whoever decided to put the English-speaking doctors farthest away from where most English-speakers are is beyond me.  I'm of course the first one there, because I'm not going to wait to get checked on- I came to win!  I get called in, and at first I'm startled because there's no lab coat, no nurse, no stethoscope.  She doesn't take my vitals.  I just sit down, tell her my symptoms, and she nods (a universal doctor habit, apparently).  Her diagnosis? Either I have food poisoning or the flu.  Neither of these sound very good, nor extremely correct...? I never threw up, I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary, I'm not running a temperature.  This causes her to be a little unsure of her initial assessment, so she kind of leaves it up in the air.  Her uncertainty certainly doesn't hold her back from prescribing me four different meds.  Two of which are things I could have probably gotten over the counter, and one of them I'm only supposed to take today.  Just to clarify, before people start asking me if I've written my will yet.  Chillax, people, not on my deathbed quite yet.

So essentially, I took my medicine today and had a nap (because my body is very exhausted from all this), and I feel worlds better.  I'm hoping by tomorrow I'm up for a trip to the library (a true test of heart, isn't it?), but I haven't decided whether or not a workout would be too much.

Oh, and there is something else.  Until next week, I have certain dietary restrictions, that completely interfere with my blogging intentions.  I am not allowed to consume any dairy, spiced/heavy meat, or (gasp) pastries/cakes for an entire week.  I've tried to see what we're going to be cooking in my class, but all I have to go off of is our reading assignment.  Guess what it's over? The history of Italian cheese. Perfetto. Regardless of my restrictions, I've decided to bring my camera to class so I can upload pictures of our creations.  They're nothing short of inspirational.

Well, I'm going to go try and boil apples.  It's one of the two meal options I have for today, the other being rice.  Tomorrow I get to upgrade to bread and pasta, and bananas I think.  The rest of the week will be a gradual reintroduction of foods to my palate.  I better be feeling better by Sunday, because I will be going to an ITALIAN SOCCER GAME! GOOOOOOALLL!

Buon Appetito, kind of,
Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment