Wednesday, March 16, 2011

THIS IS ITALIA.

So my awkwardness has finally hitched a plane over to the Atlantic and found me.  It's good to be reunited with an old friend.  Even if I prayed and hoped that that friend had taken a semester-long hiatus. In the words of Ross, WE WERE ON A BREAK.

First of all: Getting hit on by an Italian man is not a frequent thing in my life, but I do get some "Ciao Bella!"'s a couple times a week.  On Monday, I heard one directed at me, and turned to look. And it came from a girl. I can't even imagine what my face did, nor do I particularly want to know, because her friends kind of laughed at my expression. I get that a lot, actually, Italians laughing at my facial expressions.  I really hope it's out of actual amusement rather than pity.

That was Monday of this week.
Tuesday? I had two midterms, Italian and Food of Italy ( I have it so rough, don't I?).  Well, because my food professor is the best, she offered us chocolate and coffee.  So I'm nibbling on a nice piece of cioccolato pepperocino and writing down some of the typical dishes you can find in Umbria, and wonder why the corner of my mouth feels wet.  Look down at my test, and I have drooled onto my midterm exam. Hello, My name is Rachael. I'm 20 years old and eating chocolate prevents me from keeping my saliva to myself.

Today? Well, on the way home I was mentally worn out from taking another two midterms back to back (Pre-Renaissance Art and World War II), and passionately mouthing the words to a country song (you know, totally normal IN ARKANSAS. I keep forgetting this crucial detail).  And the lady at the fancy wine bar/restaurant near my house that saw my fishy face earlier this semester? Saw my karaoke-winning rendition of Miranda Lambert's  "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend".

So Thursday can just go ahead and make my semester, because it's Italian Unification Day, the last day of midterms, and St. Patrick's day.  So just bring it on, Italy, because I'm not slowing down the awkward train any time soon.

In other news, leaving for Paris THIS FRIDAY! :) vado a normandy con il mio padre! Molto bene! Can't wait! Delicious food, War Memorials, and Communicating efficiently with locals!

Buon appetito!
Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment