Sunday, March 13, 2011

It's Not Even Noon, and I've Got Stories.

Ok, so today has gotten off to an out-of-the-ordinary start already.  First things first: I slept in until after 9.  If you know anything about me, you know that is WEIRD. I mean really weird.  Even if I go to bed at like 4, I'm usually awake before the clock strikes 9.  Not this morning, and I didn't go to bed too late, like 1:30 or 2!

So that's not the most interesting thing, I promise. Otherwise, this blog post would be pathetic.  Next up is the gym. Swan (the name of the gym here), never ceases to amaze me with its Backstreet-Boys-era music videos and random showings of Pink Floyd's "The Wall", but today took the torta (cake in italian. jus sayin).  Italian BET. That's right. But they had a Beyonce marathon, right when I hit the elliptical.  After about 5 Booty-licious videos, some rap thug music video came on, but in the background there was a woman signing the whole song.  SIGN LANGUAGE. IN A RAP MUSIC VIDEO. So many thoughts in my head. So many questions that will not be answered.

While watching the enlightening programming at the gym, I realized I needed to go to the store.  For the record, going to the store is ALWAYS a hassle, because you have to pay for bags, bag your own groceries, lines are always long, and the aisles are not big enough for anyone to move. Today was especially challenging. They were out of the little cart things, so I'm wondering around Billa desperately clutching my grocery goods.  I get in line, realize I forgot eggs right when I'm next.  Retreat back to the dairy section, get eggs, realize I'm going to drop something if I don't get a cart, and find one all alone next to the onions and the peppers.  Some Luck! I think to myself. But, dear readers, the scene was much too good to be true.  An elderly man (seriously, he had a cane) who looked like an Italian Christopher Lloyd came at me, made a face like "what are you doing?!?!" and kind of sternly articulated some stuff at me in Italian. I just kept saying "Scusa, Scusa, Mi dispiace, Mi dispiace!", but his gaze wouldn't change.  He was giving me like a Clint Eastwood stare-down. Like a "do ya feel lucky, well punk, do ya?" stare-down. And no, I didn't feel lucky. So I almost literally ran away.  But not without paying for my groceries first.

It's raining here, and so the walk home was slippery, and I had to hold my bag like a baby so it wouldn't break.

This day is off to a racing start.
But it'll hopefully get a little more normal.  Actually, it will, because I'm not doing anything today but studying. Yes, dear readers, even in Italy one has to study.  I actually almost pulled an all-nighter this week to finish up a paper, an abstract, and a presentation.  And let me just say, Italy is not procrastinator friendly.  You can't check books out of the library, the library/study areas close at like 8 pm, and you have to print things the night before for morning classes because the print place doesn't open early enough.  C'mon, LdM! You're an international institute catering to mainly American students. BE OPEN LATE OR EARLY. I consider procrastinating to be nothing short of a beloved American pastime, and you're hindering on my cultural expression.

Meal wise, I've been extremely boring. Oh! But I did buy some ground beef this week, seasoned it with garlic salt, some herbs, salt and pepper! It's goooood! I'm actually just about to fix myself some. I miss meat so much I just eat it straight. Seriously, I formed myself a hamburger patty the other day and just ate it without a bun or any condiments. Happiest meal of my life.

Mid-terms this week, then St. Patty's day! Then Paris! Then Dublin (fingers crossed!!). SO GOOD!

Buon appetito!
Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment