Friday, February 18, 2011

Apologies and Condolences. And France!

First and Foremost, I owe the lovely cyber-audience a sincere apology.  I’ve let you down with this not updating since France business, and for that, I will make it up to you. So grab some milk and cookies, kids, because this post is about to turn into a rainy-day novel.
France was wonderful, beautiful, spectacular, warm and surprisingly friendly.  Everyone there was incredibly sweet to me, but that might have something to do with the fact that I spoke only French to them (BONUS! Thanks 5ish years of French!).   I want to go back the first chance I get- it was that glorious.  The weather was perfect too, but the trip there was quite a trip.

The trek to the French Riviera started out dark- literally, because we had to leave at 6 AM.  Actually, make that 6:15, since some leisurely ladies “got lost” on the way to the bus.  The walk to the bus is always interesting early in the morning, just because the time we leave the house is about the times the drunken dancers of Florence stumble their way home from the club.  Fun times.  A guy tried to trip me once, and I totally kicked him.  BAM! So obviously this time, no one messed with this girl. 
So northward we drive, and the road is winding and our bus driver seems to believe a little to much in the accelerator.  Add all that to an easily-upset stomach, and you get the girl in front of me puking her lungs out. At 7 AM.  On a small bus that is full.  She turns to ask me for a plastic bag or two.  I give her the bag, praying that she doesn’t turn around and face me for the rest of the trip.  At this point of the trip, I am extremely optimistic. 

However, once we pull into Monaco all the stomach-wrenching smells from the bus and all of the fatigue I felt from my early rising melted away.  Sun shining and soft breeze blowing, I am in paradise.  The town is literally almost too perfect- cleanest streets I’ve ever seen, no graffiti anywhere, and everyone is well-dressed and helpful.  After exploring the grounds, we stop in a café where I have, what else, but quiche lorraine! Ordered Completely in FRENCH! LOOK:


After this, to Nice we go! I got to put my feet in the Mediterranean Sea, something  I hope I get to do again! We walk around and find the coolest shops, some breakdancers, decorations for carnival this upcoming weekend, and a wonderful open-air flea market.  We found a cute bakery too, where literally almost everything was made with Nutella.  I opted for the brownie, but they had muffins and cookies and even a Nutella Latte! YUMMMM This foodie in France was a happy camper!


Our traditional French meal definitely suffered (err… exemplified?) some Italian influences.  First course a standard pasta, but the main dish and the dessert were unfalteringly French.  I almost felt like Julia Child.  And let me just say, feeling like Julia Child just makes you happy. 
Penne con Pomodoro

Jambon avec pommes frites!

Je ne sais pas. Mais il a ete delicieuse! 


Anyway, next day we went all through 3 towns: St. Paul de Vence, Cannes, and Eze (pronounced Ezzz, mmmk?).  St. Paul de Vence definitely won first place in my heart, with its mountain-top setting, plethora of art work, and just overall cute-n-quaintness.  Cannes was wonderful with the Film Festival memorabilia (check FB for Celebrity Hand Prints!), and I had my FIRST Croque Monsieur! 


And, I’m almost ashamed to say, I went to my first European McDonalds. 

NO! LET ME EXPLAIN! Don’t turn you backs on me, dear readers, let me shed some light on my unforgivable actions.  I needed to use the facilities, in a very urgent sense of the word.  Unfortunately, many places don’t have public restrooms- you gotta commit and buy some stuff.  Well, Cannes is expensive.  McDonald’s, on the other hand, is not, thanks to the one-euro menu. So I buy a diet coke (shocking), and use the bathroom code on my receipt to access the bathroom.  Life lesson learned. 

Eze was beautiful too, and very fragrant.  We went to a perfume factory, and everything smelled wonderful.  It just hurt my head after 15 minutes.  So while most of the other girls were spraying perfume and smelling soap, I was walking up a mountain to explore the town of Eze.  So beautiful.  However, this beautiful locale was the last, and after the final whiffs of perfume were inhaled, we were bus-bound and headed to Firenze. 

In short, I loved France and am finding any way to get back.  Paris during spring break is a very realistic prospect, and hopefully I can iron out the wrinkles in the plan soon.  However, Morocco is almost entirely a go.  Venice next weekend for Carnival.  Two weeks from then, Spring Break.  April will be busy with Tuscan towns and Pompeii, and maybe a trip to Greece…?  And then with May, I have two weekends, finals, and then my ticket home.  Wow. 

Anyway, Lucca this weekend with some wonderful people! And lots and lots of research for some papers! What fun! Have a glorious weekend all, and updates after Lucca!

Buon Appetito,
Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment