Sunday, February 6, 2011

Like Chocolate for Chocolate

Confession: I've been to the chocolate festival every day since it's been here.
Spoiler Alert: This will be a revealing and embarassing blog entry.

The first day was strictly for educational purposes, promise.  It is MANDATORY for me to visit the chocolate festival on Tuesday for my Food of Italy class, so since I am the student that I am, I of course did additional research to prove myself a worthy scholar.  Amongst the traditional chocolate fountains and fruit/marshmallow kabobs, I found some of the most exotic chocolate I've ever seen.  Chocolate flavored with natural extracts of pear, apple, violet, cinnamon, and pepperocino (my personal favorite since I've been here- I love the peppers and chocolate concept, it's heavenly).  I saw a 100% cacao bar, and it looked intense.  It was literally staring me down.  If Chuck Norris were a chocolate bar, this would be him.  I also saw various chocolate moldings. Chocolate shoes, chocolate tools, chocolate animals, and chocolate shot glasses.  My photo thing is not working here, so I can only show you the wondrous chocolate creations via Facebook. Or as my mom occasionallly calls it, The Facebook.

So second chocolate festival visit was not so academic.  I went to the same place we went the first day, and they totally recognized me.  MLIAWKWARD moment numero uno.  Getting recognized at a chocolate festival when it's only been going on for two days is not something to be proud of.  But it didn't stop me from buying chocolate from them- three bars to be exact, which are gifts for my Arkansas friends (I did that for Cassie, because I know how you don't like to wait for presents).  Note that there are but three different chocolates, but I expect you to be good people and share!  And I might just go back there and buy more for presents, because who doesn't love getting high-quality chocolate in the mail from Italy?

So after my second trip to the chocolate festivities, we went exploring.  To the other side of the river we went, and it was beautiful. Possibly, my favorite place in Florence up to this point, and technically some consider it almost outside of Florence.  We're talking seeing the stereotypical Tuscan countryside of the movies in all directions.  Bella! Went atop the Palazzo Michelangelo, where we looked down upon the city to see it right at dusk.  Check it out:

So now for MLIAWKARD numero due: At this fine place with the spectacular view, I saw this:

Not kidding. I felt like I was back in my grand state of Oklahoma.  The whole time, I was just confused. Native Americans in Italy. It still makes my brow furrow typing that. Despite the utter sense of inappropriateness and displacement I felt, I bought a dreamcatcher from them.  It now hangs over my bed with pride.

The rest of the night was chill as can be. Leftovers from cooking chicken and pasta the night before, and also a wonderful gelato run, to a place that is now my favorite in Florence.  I only remembered to take a picture of it after I finished it...
My diet starts tomorrow. I love myself and I hate myself.

The remainder of the day results in reading, picture-uploading, cleaning, and skyping.  Also, mentally preparing for my trip to NICE this weekend! Is it bad that I'm excited, because I will understand more in France than I do here? Je suis en Italie, mais je parle et pense francais tout le temp, tout le jour, et tout la vie!

Buon appetito!
Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment