Tuesday, February 8, 2011

True Life: Stuff They Don't Tell You About Studying Abroad

Don't get me wrong, I am entirely and incredibly grateful and indebted to my privilege of studying abroad. These past two days, however, have been sort of a reality check which shatters the Honeymoon phase of Culture Shock.

Laundry, for one thing, was a major frustration, because our washing machine does not work without 15 hours worth of spin cycles.  Our internet has also been on the fritz, and the man who came by to fix it spoke ZERO English.  He switched to French so I could comprehend a little more, but I'm still doubting that he really said "I painted this apartment myself" (that's what it sounded like, I'd bet someone else's dog's life on it).  Then there are money matters, which I'm not running out of money, it's just that things are expensive.  And, myself being a mild to medium worrier, do not want to head back to the States come May 14th with a non-existent savings account.  There is also the issue of my potential spring break plans, whose concerns deal mainly with financial means of experiencing an enjoyable free week in Europe.

However, a trip to COOP (my favorite grocery store here- it's huge, and has TONS of stuff, like whole wheat pasta and no-sugar added muesli. And this week, smoked salmon was on sale! NOM) with my no-class-on-mondays buddy Laura helped cheer my up and put my anxieties at rest.  Also, surprisingly, having the routine of school work now helps alleviate some of the stresses.  Oh, and that new gym membership I got has allowed me to "work out" frustration.  See what I did there? Clever. 10 points to Griffyndor.

Oh, and last night, I won a trip to Morocco. FREE TRIP TO MOROCCO. FOR REALZ. This would make anybody's night! And today was that pesky mandatory trip to the chocolate festival.  We tried cioccolato peperocino (chocolate with pepper) cioccolato aranche (chocolate with orange!) and chocolate with almonds (I don't remember the italian, sorry).  All those bars came from the stand I've been from only 49487987 times.  When we walked up, the girl who's worked there all week told me hello and asked how I was.  I got some stares.  I told them we were pretty much on a first name basis, because it's true.  Anyway, I also got to try a pistachio truffle, chocolate covered coffee beans (the best I've had- Dad, these were WONDERFUL), and a 100% cacao bar. And I learned a ton about chocolate and coffee.

Allora, I've gotta get to reading for my Pre-Renaissance Art and for World War II.  A Presto!

Buon Appetito!
Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment