Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sort of Sickly...

I hate to say it, but I think I'm getting sick.

Couldn't have picked a better time, right? My nose was running so much today that snot literally dripped (DRIPPED) out of my nose onto my World War II syllabus.  Like a faucet. Gross.

So, dear readers, this post will be short, so I can get to bed early and hopefully get on my feet tomorrow.  I'm going to the gym early (and early here means like 8, btw) to figure out exactly how I get a short-term membership *if possible*, because I'm slightly convinced that my not-feeling-well has to do with the lack of exercise that's accumulated since my time here.

My day began with a quest to find notebooks and spirals. No such luck. Yes, dear readers, it seems that Europe has yet to develop the taste for college-ruled lined paper.  After searching in every store I could find on my way to class, I headed over to the inviting Pilazze Strozzi, where I had class for the next 5 1/2 hours.  Pre-Renaissance Art seemed predictable: a bigger than Texas textbook and multiple in-class trips to the churches in the surrounding areas.  My World War II class? Disappointing.  In contrast with my thoughts of this class being a whole new spin on my familiarity with the Second World War, the class appears to be simply a European regurgitation of what I already know.  I guess what I wanted was some more information on the Italian side, but that I will have to discover on my own.

I've made an executive decision I hope you'll approve of: I've decided to include in the Molto Mangia blog a MLIA section.  Note, that "A" does not stand for average, fools! It is for Awkward, because no one wants to know how average my trip is, everyone wants to know the sort of awkward things that happen.  Besides the snotting-like-a-sink incident, I also saw a girl in my art history class write in the most awkward way I've ever witnessed.  She had her pen over her middle finger, and held it with her index and ring finger, with her thumb posed in a way that I thought only play-doh and Gumby could pose.  I stared at this for a good 14 minutes.

Food wise, I'm afraid I must disapoint.  Forgot to pack a snack for in between the five hours of class, so I took only breakfast and dinner. Scrambled eggs for some comfort, and some fruit. Cereal for breakfast. Disappointing, I know, but once I get over whatever this is, hopefully I'll be back to my cooking self.

Tomorrow promises improvement, the end of the first week of classes, and the beginning of a weekend filled with reading, laundry, cleaning, and possible exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment